Our 2019 ERO review stated that our ‘responsive careers education supports student development’ at Kelston Girls’ College.
We provide personalised careers education by offering students:
- Access to the career development software Career Central at any time with form teacher support from Year 9 to Year 13 to help with career exploration.
- Individual interviews with the Careers Adviser for any current or ex-student and their whanau members.
- Careers lessons with the Careers Adviser including a ‘careers class’ for one hour every week in Year 13 to develop both career and life skills.
- Visits to a range of workplaces to explore jobs such as engineering firms, hospitals, film studios, construction jobs and many more.
- A whole school careers expo in Term Three where students and whanau can speak to a range of tertiary providers.
- Visits from tertiary and defence force providers throughout the year to help senior students with course planning for their tertiary study.
- Access to driver education and licence testing for minimal cost.
- Support with applying for a range of scholarships.
- Gateway programmes for extended workplace experiences.
- The chance to spend one day a week at a tertiary course in year 12 or 13 in the Trades Academy.
- Opportunities to experience different types of study by visiting tertiary providers.
Careers Adviser for students from Refugee Background and International Students